Thursday, July 3, 2008

confessions of a compacting mama

Confession time...we're done with our compact! I'm happy to report that we did very well. Besides for items listed in my exemptions, we only had two mess ups (three if you agree with my brother, but I'll get to that later).
Walter bought a croquet set. We searched for a used set. I went to thrift stores, yard sales, used sporting goods stores...no luck. We purposely bought a nice set so that we'll be able to use it for many years. I know it's a mess up but it was a well thought out purchase which we've already gotten a ton of use out of. The second mess up was a set of sand tools for Estella. We purchased a set with a shovel, rake and hoe and she loves to play with it! She used it every day at the beach and now it's in her new sandbox. I feel that she'll be able to use it at least for a couple of summers. I was however able to find her a set of used sand pails...

The third mess up, if you agree with Mark, is that I upgraded our dish package, so that we can now obsessively watch Planet Green. I do realize that it was a purchase of something new, but I feel that it doesn't count because it's more of a service, not a new possession, and it doesn't creat any more waste...you be the judge.

That's it! We did really well. We've also decided to continue on the same path. We will continue to shop used, make presents, and cut down on our buying. We most likely will buy new items again but we're going to put a lot of thought into our purchases and buy quality items that will last longer, even if it means spending a bit more.


As promised, pics of my most recent Fritters! This is Little Red and Big Bad.
I'm super pleased with how they came out...they were a ton of work but the end product was well worth it, don't you think? I'm hoping to get them in the shop, along with the Fritter Family, tonight after Estella goes to bed. If not tonight, hopefully Monday! Check out all the pics in the link...and I hope you love 'em as much as I do.

Happy 4th of July!

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Someday you should make a CBG Fritter.

Kri